On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 22:29:19 -0400, Winston Sorfleet wrote:
> Greetings all.  I was wondering if other eyes can spot something obvious
> I'm missing, with respect to how amanda invokes GNUTAR on client
> machines (the amdump logfile doesn't show anything unusual).  It may be
> in the guts of /usr/lib/amanda/application/amgtar or runtar but short of
> looking at code I am not familiar with, I can't tell.

> > forum.romanus.ca        / {
> >         comp-root-tar
> > #       auth "bsdtcp"
> >         exclude append "./home"
> > }
[...]
> And the dumptype definition:
>
> > define dumptype root-tar {
> >     global
> >     program "GNUTAR"
> >     comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
> >     compress none
> >     priority low
> > }
> > define dumptype comp-root-tar {
> >     root-tar
> >     comment "Root partitions with compression dumped with tar"
> >     compress client fast
> > }

program "GNUTAR" means that tar is being invoked by "runtar", which does
indeed add a --one-file-system to the tar command line.

You can find the full tar command line in the "runtar" log on the
Amanada client machine.  The path to the log files depends on how Amanda
was compiled, but for example on an old Debian machine where I am still
using the GNUTAR program they are found at
/var/log/amanda/client/<CONFIG>/runtar.2019* .

If you want to try doing dumps without sending --one-file-system to tar,
you can try switching your dumptype to use amgtar: look in the amgtar
man page for the ONE-FILE-SYSTEM property.

(If you make that switch, you would then find the full tar command line
used in the amgtar.2019* log files on the client.)

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239