On Wed, 29 May 2019 17:49:56 -0400
Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 May 2019 05:00:22 pm Charles Curley wrote:
>
> > Gene's query on the recipe for extracting in the tape headers got me
> > curious. The few I looked at were complete backups. However, I also
> > split my backups into chunks. Those did not have a suitable command
> > line, and I'm not sure you could automate one for inclusion in the
> > header.
> >
> The difference would seem to be that while I chunk it on the holding
> disk, is merged on it way to the backup media, so I only get one file
> per dle on the backup media.
>
> But I'm not at all sure how it would be told to back each 2G hunk as
> an individual file as it been a decade or more since I set it up to
> do that in order to not confuse a 32 bit file system, back when my
> hair more closely resembled the pix of me on my web page  Now its
> whiter and thinner :(

If it works, don't fix it!

But for the terminally curious, it's in the definition of your
tapetype, plus setting "allow-split" in your disktype.

define tapetype HARD-DISK {
                comment "Dump onto hard disk"
                length 15360 mbytes     # specified in mbytes to get the exact
size of 15 GB 2015-02-17

    # Version 3.2.x splitting parameters. Set "allow-split yes" in the
    # disktype.
    part-cache-type disk
    part-cache-dir "/crc/back/amanda/part-cache"
    part-size 900 mb
    part-cache-max-size 900 mb
        }

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but