On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 03:27:13PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 05.12.19 um 21:47 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> > Am 03.12.19 um 15:43 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> >>
> >> Another naive question:
> >>
> >> Does the holdingdisk have to be bigger than the size of one tape?
> >
> > As there were multiple replies to my original posting and as I am way
> > too busy right now: a quick "thanks" to all the people who replied.
> >
> > So far the setup works. Maybe not optimal, but it works.
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > stay tuned ...
>
> Now an additional obstacle:
>
> one DLE (a Veeam Backup Dir, so I don't want to split it via "exclude"
> or so) is larger than (a) one tape and (b) the holding disk.
>
> DLE = 2.9 TB
> holding disk = 2 TB
> one tape = 2.4 TB (LTO6)
>
> It seems that the tape device doesn't support LEOM ...
>
> Amdump dumps the DLE directly to tape, fills it and fails with
>
> " lev 0  partial taper: No space left on device, splitting not enabled
> "
>
> I am unsure how to set LEOM within:
>
> define device lto6_drive {
>     tapedev "tape:/dev/nst0"
>     #device-property "BLOCK_SIZE" "2048K"
>     device-property "LEOM" "false"
> }
>
> define changer robot {
>       tpchanger "chg-robot:/dev/sg4"
>       #property "tape-device" "0=tape:/dev/nst0"
>       property "tape-device" "0=lto6_drive"
>       property "eject-before-unload" "yes"
>       property "use-slots" "1-8"
> }
>

> ... makes amcheck happy.
>
> additional for your checking eyes:
>
> define tapetype LTO6 {
>     comment "Created by amtapetype; compression enabled"
>     length 2443520000 kbytes
>     filemark 868 kbytes
>     speed 157758 kps
>     blocksize 2048 kbytes
>
>       part_size 100G
>       part_cache_type memory
>       part_cache_max_size 8G # use roughly the amount of free RAM on your
> system
> }
>

> We have 32 GB RAM in there so this should work?

Perhaps my lack of using large devices is causing me to
miss something, but I don't see how.

You are writing 100GB "parts" directly to tape.  At some
point, the tape fills while writing one of these parts.
To repeat that part on a second tape, the 100GB of the
failed part must be saved somewhere.  Certainly not in
memory!  Can the holding disk be used to "cache" the
parts?

Are you sure you can't just plugin another 2TB USB drive
as a second holding disk?

BTW you do have "runtapes" > 1 correct?

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)