On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 05:40:31PM -0500, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> Looks like there we had some discussion here on the list back in
> November 2018 about the unbalanced runs you were seeing, which got as
> far as my theorizing that perhaps you had a few DLEs that were so much
> larger than all the others that Amanda's normal algorithm for adjusting
> the balance is unable to achieve that goal....
>
> I don't know if there is anyone left on this list who understands the
> inner workings of those algorithms, but if you really want to get to the
> bottom of the problem you'll probably have to spend some time combing
> through the balance calculation section of the planner log files....

Asking if there is anyone left is really the purpose of my post.
Following Gene's original thread I started playing with some
configuration edits and "amadmin <cfg> balance".  Here is a
sample of the last few lines of the report:

    TOTAL       18     975202     704008    100572
    BALANCED           573868     311613     44516
    DISTINCT    27    1480964    1187912
      (estimated 7 runs per dumpcycle)

The last value on the 2nd line above (44.5GB) is what amadmin
considers a balanced output of level 0 dumps over the next
7 day dumpcycle.

My default {dump/runsper}cycle is 7 days, set in amanda.conf.
But more than 1/2 of my DLEs have custom dumpcycles (14,21,and
28 days) set in their dumptypes.  You can not set custom values
for runspercycle in dumptypes (bummer!!).

Based on my playing, I do not think the above command considers
custom dumpcycles in calculating a balance value.  I wonder if
the planner also fails to consider custom dumpcycles?

Where is a code reader when you want one :)

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)