On Monday 20 September 2021 11:59:31 David Simpson wrote:

> Is there a definitive guide on backing up the catalogue/indexes?
>
> (ideally appending to tape as an epilogue of sorts)

That is basicly what GenesAmandaHelper does.

If comfy with shell scripts there is an older version that will need to
be tweaked a bit for 3.5.1 on my web page in the sig. Its a bit out of
date, written originally for a much older amanda that I started out with
in 1999, but shouldn't be too hard to adapt. Zero consideration for the
fixed capacity of real tapes, but I've been using vtapes on a big hd for
well over a decade with relatively few problems that didn't resolve to
hdwe in the final fix. They don't have a fixed tape length, only the
disks capacity.

This is NOT suitable for businesses requiring off site storage, but as a
backup for a 6 machine home network, 4 of which are driving metal
carving machines. Be my guest and I'll help if I can.

> -------------
> David Simpson - Senior Systems Engineer
> ARCCA, Redwood Building,
> King Edward VII Avenue,
> Cardiff, CF10 3NB
>
> David Simpson - peiriannydd uwch systemau
> ARCCA, Adeilad Redwood,
> King Edward VII Avenue,
> Caerdydd, CF10 3NB
>
> simpso...@cardiff.ac.uk<mailto:simpso...@cardiff.ac.uk>