A different approach here.
I configured a single MD-RAID6 of 16 4TB disks and the vtapes are simple folders. I did it mostly because I didn't know the exact space requirements our backups would have. Today I'd go with a smaller RAID (probably just 10 disks, so to have 32TB and a sane stripe size of 4k).

I didn't like the idea of having "hard-sized" vtapes because of the wasted space.

I don't like having to remove SAS/SATA HDDs because the connector is usually specced for about 500 mating cycles. If you need frequent swaps it's better to use a caddy with its own connectors (like ESATA/USB external enclosure, one per removable disk). With USB3 the performance shouldn't be an issue. Maybe the CPU load, but a recent system should be able to handle it quite well.

HIH.