Am 20.03.23 um 07:38 schrieb Kees Meijs | Nefos:
Hi there,

On 19-03-2023 18:37, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

Do / did you run fileservers on btrfs?

Yes. There's a back up server (runnning something other then AMANDA) with a 40-something TB volume with btrfs. Quite often (like every other month) we notice btrfs driver issues. Mostly this is a kernel oops, then a reboot (watchdog) and then minutes and minutes of remounting after the machine was rebooted. Then a timeout since the mount took to long, and then manual intervention.

What OS / distribution is that? What type of btrfs pool ("raid level")?

Insofar I can tell no loss yet in terms of data at rest, but obviously all state and running back-ups are effected.

The oops'es seen mostly are in the context of cache or CoW related. Just disabling free block cache and such, or other btrfs features, didn't really help. It's noteworthy there are snapshots involved; 75 ~ 90 of them.

In general, we decided to move away from btrfs. Some systems are migrated to ext4 (sometimes with LVM), some to ZFS.

Hm, I see. I am currently considering using btrfs for a new file server, so that is interesting to me. That box will be smaller, maybe 8 TB or so, running Debian 11.x (whatever is stable in a few months).

btrfs gets quite some development lately, but that is with latest kernels: debian stable won't come with 6.2 or something.

thanks for that information