Nicklas,

> I'm currently implementing SQL lookups and quarantine through SQL. Since
> we're running perl 5.6.1 on a Debian woody stable we got into some troubles
> with not finding the Encode module (Encode.pm). It can't be installed on
> our system without upgrading perl. This is pretty obvious since this module
> requires perl => 5.7.

The 'use Encode' is required when logging to SQL is enabled.

The module is used to convert Subject text from the specified
character set in a mail to UTF8 for storing into a SQL record.

> Now to the question.
>
> Is it safe to replace the 'use Encode;' entries in amavisd to 'use
> Encode::compat'? I'd like to know if something might brake or if there will
> be some loss in the encoding/decoding part.

I don't know. It is probably no big deal if this decoding does not work,
but I'm not sure what is the best way to disable it or how to provide
a workaround for pre-5.8 versions of Perl.

> Is it possible to interact with the final*destiny directives from the policy
> table when using mysql lookups?

Not exactly, but the most common need of temporarily converting D_BOUNCE
into D_PASS on a per-recipient basis is the *_lovers mechanism, and
per-recipient conversion of D_BOUNCE into D_DISCARD for spam is done
by spam_dsn_cutoff_level.