Clifton wrote:

>   Perl 5.8.0 had some significant bugs fixed in later releases of
> 5.8.0, and Mark has many times warned that amavisd can tickle some of
> them.

>   -- Clifton

I think one of the strange things I found when I played with Fedora
Core 2 was that it 'installs' 5 different versions of Perl. But I
think it only has one set of Perl files, and they are not 5.8.0.

What does perl -v say?

Earlier Tom asked:
"what am I doing wrong?"
IMHO opinion, (and I realize this is a thoughtless, opinionated, cruel
thing to say, so don't beat me up (I can beat myself up just fine))
... You are using Fedora!