Gordon,

> Is it possible to strip an attachment in the case of
> "$final_banned_destiny" with other Amavisd-NEW options so that the
> attachment is saved to, say, /var/virusmails, and still the original
> email text is delivered to the user's mailbox with a notification that
> the executable attachment has been stripped and quarantined?

No, this is currently not possible nor planned for immediate future.

> Oh, I think I see what you mean - by using the info included here?
> http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.customize.txt
> Which of these options do you think would give me what I'm looking for?

The most you can get with using a built-in macro processor is to include
the full mail header (macro %H), which is not exactly what you need.
Mail body is not available through macros, one reason is that it is not stored
in memory.

One approach would be to modify sub defanged_mime_entity()
to re-assemble a replacement MIME::Entity object out of original mail,
based on some filtering rules.

Some people have modified the source  code to pass the email.txt to altermime
and to forward to recipients its results. While tricks like that are certainly
possible and not too difficult to implement, these are currently just
more or less successful experiments.

A quarantine management GUI may offer ability to let recipient look into
his quarantined message, and only display plain text parts.

> may I suggest this
> functionality be included in future revs of the product? I know that
> other Anti-SPAM/VIRUS/BLOCKED utilities have this capability and it just
> seems like another nicety to add to an already very nice tool.

You may suggest, but it is way down on a priority list. Adding such
functionality is another can of worms / a project all in itself.
Amavis* project(s) so far stayed on the position that a mail body
should not be changed apart from some added/edited header fields
(partly because we don't want to be culpable when something goes wrong).
While I did give-in somewhat when I introduced a simple form of
'mail  defanging' (wrapping a message/rfc822 MIME container around
original mail in certain cases), I have no immediate plans to refine/extend
such functionality.

Stripping away MIME parts may have some niche use, but as a general
approach I believe it is less useful than may appear at a first glance.