John,

> I'm running amavisd-new 2.3.3 on FreeBSD 5.4
> I'm trying to release a quarantined file.
> I'm trying to use amavisd-release.
> I added this entry to not require a auth_id.
> $auth_required_release = 0;

Ok.

> I'm using INET as the connection method.
> I'm entering the file name exactly as in the log message.

> I get the following in my log file.
> Dec 13 20:32:10 mg-p1 amavis[48786]: (48786-01) SMTP: 500 5.5.2 Error:
> bad syntax; PENALIZE: request=release\r\n

The protocol on a socket that accepts release requests must be
set to AM.PDP. On inet sockets it defaults to SMTP, which is why
you see protocol syntax errors.

The socket for SMTP (port 10024) and a socket for release requests
must be separate, as there is no way to auto-detect the protocol.

In amavisd.conf use something like:
  $inet_socket_port = [10024, 9998];
  $interface_policy{'9998'} = 'AM.PDP';
  $policy_bank{'AM.PDP'} = {protocol=>'AM.PDP'};

and in file amavisd-release change socket to:
  $socketname = '127.0.0.1:9998';

This example setting is from the first few comment lines
in file amavisd-release.