>> from future 2.4.0 rel.notes:
>> - new config variable $trim_trailing_space_in_lookup_result_fields controls
>>   trimming of trailing whitespace from SQL fields, LDAP attribute values
>>   and associative array righthand-sides (hash values) as read by read_hash();
>>   enabled by default for compatibility; turn off to retain whitespace
>>   in SQL fields such as '***SPAM*** ' in policy.spam_subject_tag2;
>> Mark

> I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that it is the varchar
> data type that automatically trims trailing from the data in MySQL.

Looks like this is version dependant.

MySQL Version 5.1 says:
"VARCHAR values are not padded when they are stored. Trailing spaces
are retained when values are stored and retrieved, in
conformance with standard SQL"

Version 4.1 says:
"VARCHAR values are not padded when they are stored. Trailing spaces
in MySQL version up to and including 4.1 are removed from values
when stored in a VARCHAR column; this also means that the spaces
are absent from retrieved values. "