John,

> Mail comes into the network through one of the two MX hosts, is filtered
> for spam and viruses, and is delivered to the mailbox server.  The
> mailbox server runs amavis, but only as a virus scanner.

Ok, so the mailbox server is not stripping X-Spam-* header fileds,
as it has spam checking disabled. Fine (this was my concern).

> There are
> mailbox server on delivered messages.  The filtering servers began to
> differ in their behavior at some time in the last few weeks that
> completely slipped under my radar.  Mail from  filtering server #2 still
> has "X-Spam-Level: 1.2" style headers added for scores between my
> tag_level and my kill_level.  Mail from filtering server #1 now
> completely lacks X-Spam-* headers.  I've run sdiff against their config
> files.  I've turned on debug logging to a separate log file.  I can't
> find the problem.  I'm open to this being an issue with amavisd-new,
> spamassassin, or possibly postfix.  I just can't find it.

Please make available log_level 5 log from server #1 of one spam message
(grep log by id).

Generally the most common reason for missing X-Spam-* header fields
is that recipient address does not match local_domains.