On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 09:58:49AM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Take this with a grain of salt, I'm biased (being the bogofilter
> > co-maintainer):
> >
> > IMHO the SpamAssassin Bayes stuff should be disabled -- for various reasons:
> >
> > 1. is that it causes a major performance issue, even on lightly loaded
> >    Pentium D and Xeon 2.8 equipped servers, which causes filtering to be
> >    aborted through amavis's timeouts (at least for my older amavisd-new
> >    version).
> >
> > 2. SA's self-registering stuff should be disabled - Bayes filters need
> >    to know what the human that is to receive the messages considers
> >    spam, not what a machine second-guesses.
> Thanks.  I knew most of this, which is why I wasn't going to bother
> trying to train databases this time around.  But what do you mean by
> "self-registering" ?

  autolearn - The default is for SA to feed into Bayes anything that
scores high enough (as spam) or low enough (as ham).  I agree that this
is a fundamentally and philosophically flawed idea.  At the least it
should not be a default and should use much further thresholds than it
did when I last checked.

  If you weren't aware of this, this may be how your Bayes DBs ended up
poisoned.  With autolearn it can happen anytime a new style of spam
comes through which is not caught by SA's existing rules.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/