From: Mark Martinec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: amavis-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:10:58 PM GMT-0500 US/Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMaViS-user] Bad file descriptor errors with AMaVIS under

Bradley,

> Yes. I have posted what I think is a single message's path through the
> logs. It does result in a bad file descriptor error. It is up at
> http://www.tux.org/~storm/files/amavisd.log.1

Thanks, the output from file(1) looks normal, yet your PerlIO or libc
returns incorrect status on reading the last line. I'm quite sure
it is related to the mentioned Perl I/O bug. It shows on some platforms,
and not on others. I'd suggest you try on a different OS platform,
perhaps as Gary suggests, or SUSE or whatever is supported by Zimbra.

As a quick-and-dirty workaround you may just comment out the
check for error status, although this way you'll never know
when a true error occurs. Just comment out the two lines:
    defined $ln || $!==0 || $!==EAGAIN
      or die "Error reading from file(1) utility: $!";

For experimenting, here is a small test program in Perl,
which mimics what amavisd does: forks a file(1) command
giving it some filename as argument, and reads output from
pipe line by line, printing each line, and checking status.
E.g.:  $ ./this-prog some-file.txt