On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 17:40 +0100, Jona Joachim wrote:
> I hadn't thought about fetching failures. I wanted the whole thing to be
> lightweight because it should run on a 300MHz Pentium II with limited RAM.
How limited is the RAM?  I have done this on a Pentium-I with 48MB RAM.
Amavisd-new is by far the most resource intensive of this particular
setup.

To see of yourself, setup fetchmail --> postfix --> ( procmail --> )
Maildir/
Let it run and check your system load with top.  You'll find, that with
mail coming from localhost (fetchmail), and no checks on postfix's side
being done, you'll have plenty of cycles to spare.

Now add amavisd-new to the mix.  Check your load again.

Point is, on any machine that's powerful enough to be considered for use
with amavisd-new (and I assume spamassassin, and at least one virus
scanner),  to add postfix or not to add postfix wil hardly make a
difference in your resource usage.

And in my experience, the kind of hard discs that came with Pentium-II
class computers are generally the bottelneck in this kind of setup,
especially if you have limited RAM.

> On top of that I wanted to avoid a complex postfix setup because I don't
> have a lot of experience in configuring it. Postfix will have to do 3
> different tasks: receive mail from fetchmail
in main.cf:
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

>  and transmit it to amavis,
> receive scanned mail by amavis

As shown by Gary, or alternatively, in master.cf, change this line
(careful for line wrapping - each one is a single line:

smtp     inet  n      -      n      -      -      smtpd

to:

smtp    inet  n     -      n      -       -      smtpd -o
content_filter=smtp:127.0.0.1:10024

and add:

127.0.0.1:10025 inet  n      -       n       -        -       smtpd -o
content_filter=

>  and store it in MailDir,

In main.cf:
home_mailbox = Maildir/

>  and transmit
> outgoing mail to the ISP mail server.

In main.cf:
relayhost = smtp.your-isp.tld

>  If postfix stores mail in the
> MailDir format there is no need for procmail but I will have to teach it
> to store mail from different accounts to one single place.
You do this in your fetchmailrc file.   The syntax allows you to say
something like
user "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" there is user "localuser" here.

You can have multiple users *there* be the same user *here*

Hope this helps
Hans