Jus,

> If I upgrade the Amavis will it go straight on or will I need to
> reconfigure everything? just that it's currently running on a live system
> I read through the release log and it looks like it would be a idea to
> upgrade any way...

It is a drop-in replacement for your 2.4.3, no changes in config file
are necessary. Save a copy of your current file amavisd elsewhere,
and if the new one gives you trouble you can just switch back.

If you don't ALTER the quarantine.mail_text to bytea then PostgreSQL
will complain when amavisd 2.4.4 tries to store a message to a SQL
quarantine.

As a stop-gap solution if you don't want to alter data type just yet,
it is possible to let Pg do conversion on-the-fly by changing
the SQL clauses. Placing the following in amavisd.conf should do:

$sql_clause{'ins_quar'} =
  "INSERT INTO quarantine (mail_id, chunk_ind, mail_text)".
  " VALUES (?,?,encode(?,'escape'))";

$sql_clause{'sel_quar'} =
  "SELECT decode(mail_text,'escape') FROM quarantine".
  " WHERE mail_id=? ORDER BY chunk_ind";