Keith,

> Anyway, I installed sendmail and amavisd-new from packages, along with
> amavisd-new-milter. Copied over the sendmail.mc from the old setup, went
> through the amavisd config ... no dice. It's timing out on the child
> process without chewing any CPU. At this point I still have AV and spam
> filtering disabled. I've tried purging the packages, installing and just
> adding the following:
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`amavis-milter',
>         `S=local:/var/lib/amavis/amavisd-new-milter.sock,
>         F=T, T=S:10m;R:10m;E:10m')
> and still it's hanging. It looks like this when you watch with debug:
>
> Nov 15 13:29:47 xx amavis[10214]: switch_to_my_time     480 s, new request
> Nov 15 13:29:47 xx amavis[10214]: process_request:
> suggested_protocol="AM.PDP" on UNIX
> Nov 15 13:29:47 xx amavis[10214]: process_policy_request: 0, amavisd
> (ch1-P-idle), fileno=11
> Nov 15 13:29:47 xx amavis[10214]: switch_to_client_time 480 s, start
> receiving AM.PDP data
> Nov 15 13:37:47 xx amavis[10214]: (!) Requesting process rundown, task
> exceeded allowed time during waiting for input from cli ent

> The only change I made to the amavis config was changing /usr/run/amavis to
> /usr/lib/amavis in the socket name. Amavis and amavis-milter seem to be
> creating their sockets OK.
>
> So what am I missing? Thanks. BTW, this is Amavis 2.4.3, Sendmail 8.13.8,
> and amavisd-new-milter 2.4.2.

It seems you are running amavis-milter that comes with amavisd package,
but you have configured amavisd daemon to talk a new AM.PDP protocol
on a socket.

Either remove any 'protocol' specification in amavisd.conf (or set it
to 'AM.CL') and continue using the provided amavis-milter;

or use Petr Rehor's amavisd-milter (note the 'd' in the name) and
keep amavisd $protocol at 'AM.PDP'. See README.milter for a link.