DH,

> Our mail server has been suffering performance problems due to excessive
> use of the local MySQL server in the various configurations.  Looking over
> the Amavisd-new configuration, I see that SQL Logging is enabled via:
>   @storage_sql_dsn = @lookup_sql_dsn;
> The lookups are necessary, but as we don't use $*_quarantine_method='sql'
> anywhere, and we aren't using the penpals feature, I would like to turn
> the SQL logging off.  Once I do that, I want to clean out the tables used
> by SQL Logging.  Based on README.sql.txt, I am led to believe that the
> @storage_sql_dsn is the sole user of the following tables:
> maddr
> msgs
> msgrcpt
> quarantine

Right.

> Currently the sizes of these tables are several hundred megs each (except
> for quarantine, which is empty).  My question is twofold:
> First, I can just comment out or remove the @storage_sql_dsn line in
> amavisd.conf in order to disable SQL Logging?

Yes.

> Second, will I cause any problems by deleting all the rows from the 4
> tables above?  Are they used in any other way?

No problems. Tables msgs, msgrcpt and maddr are pretty much write-only
except for pen pals, which gets disabled along with turning off
@storage_sql_dsn. The table 'quarantine' is normally write-only,
except for releasing from a quarantine when @storage_sql_dsn is
enabled and quarantine method points to 'sql:' .

Even if @storage_sql_dsn is still enabled and writing goes on,
you may be deleting records from these tables - which is how
maintenance purging is normally done (README.sql).

(with MySQL, purging is somewhat troublesome because of
extensive locking, which can bog down amavisd; this is an
order of magnitude less noticeable problem with database
on PostgreSQL).