Tapani,

> Yes, moving from dual sendmail to milter would be an obvious
> solution, but my past experiences with milter under heavy
> load discourage me from going that route.
> It's been some time since I looked at it though, perhaps
> the issues have been solved since.

I wouldn't recommend it either. The concept of runnig heavy-weight
content filters before-queue is fundamentally problematic
and is not suitable for larger sites.

> > It would be possible to make a small milter to query p0f
> > and insert the information in mail header.
>
> Right, but doing that without performance problems may
> not be as easy as it sounds.

Don't know, I don't see any problems there. A lookup
by a milter into p0f-analyzer's cache would be almost
instantaneous (a dozen of milliseconds).

> > A third way would be to write a SA plugin that would query
> > p0f-analyzer directly, after obtaining client IP address
> > from the first trusted Received header field, which is
> > already parsed and known by SA. This would perhaps be the
> > most general purpose solution, and other users of SA would
> > benefit.
>
> Indeed, that sounds like the ideal solution. I've never
> looked at writing SA plugins though, and not enough time
> to do it now, so I guess I'll have to forego p0f for now. :-(
> Maybe later...

Any volunteers to prepare a SA plugin for p0f lookup?
Should be quite straightforward.