Bill,

> Problem 1: after an 'amavisd reload' or 'amavisd stop' command, not
> all child processes die. The main server thread exits and some children
> may exit, but often one or more children hang around. Example:
> 31249 ?        R    877:28 amavisd (ch4-31249-04)
> Note that 31249 is still hanging around. A manual 'kill -TERM' will not
> make it go away. I have to use 'kill -9' to zap it.

Net::Server only uses SIGTERM to kill its child processes on shutdown.
If a child process does not respond to SIGTERM, a manual SIGKILL
might be necessary.

It would be interesting to find out what the stuck process was doing.

Running at log level 5 for a while would make it possible to examine
the last log entries by a process, which need to be manually killed.

Attaching truss or strace to such process might also indicate
what it is doing.

> Problem 2: Sometimes, but not always, after an 'amavisd reload', the
> communications between amavisd and postfix get hosed. The amavisd
> process list will show the master and all virgin children and the
> mail logs will show postfix unable to connect to the content filter
> on 127.0.0.1:10025. I can manually telnet to 127.0.0.1:10025 and get
> a prompt from amavisd. A 'postfix stop; postfix start' clears up
> this problem.

'postfix flush' suffices. Most likely the Postfix remembered that
the content filter was down and avoids repeated new attempts,
knowing that these would most likely fail. Postfix would retry
again in a couple of minutes. With a manual 'postfix flush'
you can tell it to retry right away.