Leon,

> I thought of disaster recovery backup.
> I've read the man pages but still not clear about backing up Bayesian
> DB files (I don't use SQL DB for now).
>
> 1) Is the following command is legit?
> sa-learn --sync --showdots --backup > backup.txt

I guess so. It's been long time since I used it (with a move to SQL),
but SA docs still suggests it (sql/README.bayes).

> Is this command make backup of bayes_seen, bayes_toks, user_prefs,
> auto-whitelist altogether?

Just the bayes_seen and bayes_toks I believe.

> 2) Should I stop SA(amavisd-new) from running during this backup?

Preferably if you can afford it (but it can take a long time).
A good compromise is probably to just disable bayes autolearning,
so the database would run essentially in read-only mode,
and SA/amavisd may still be running.

> 3) Where can I read amore about AWL backup and .mutex files (I'm not
> familiar with those)?

I don't think there is an equivalent to sa-learn --backup
for AWL. Just stop amavisd and copy the database. Or do a db_dump
if you have a Berkeley database.

It is probably not a big deal to start AWL from scratch
if the database is lost.

About .mutex I don't know. A general suggestion\
is to have a
  lock_method flock
in local.cf