Walter,

> >   $spam_summary = $per_msg_status->get_report;  # taints $1 and $2
> > # $spam_summary = $per_msg_status->get_tag('SUMMARY');
> >   $spam_report  = $per_msg_status->get_tag('REPORT');
>
> Okay... it's late and I haven't noticed before:
> $spam_report is set to $per_msg_status->get_tag('REPORT') which is
> apparently not using the report template as configured in local.cf.

Right. SA is preparing two types of reports: the more baroque one is
appropriate for inclusion in mail body, the leaner one is appropriate
for inclusion in mail header. The change was made to better go along
with SA terminology and target application.

> In my production version of amavisd-new $spam_report is set to the
> output of $per_msg_status->get_report.
> In this version of amavisd-new this output is assigned to $spam_summary
> as one can see from the piece of code above.
>
> I've changed the amavisd-new code to use $spam_summary instead of
> $spam_report and I see my configured report template again.

That's ok, use whichever fits your purpose best.

> The output is somewhat broken (wrong line feed in one of the lines
> but I'm feeling that I can see the light at the other side of the
> tunnel.

Indeed this is a reason why it is no longer used in later versions.

> I don't know what 'taints $1 and $2' implies but maybe I'll find some
> references to this source change.  I haven't found anything useful
> before but 'summary' seems to be a good keyword to search for (next
> year,-)

It is mostly a note to myself, pointing to another potential source of
Perl taint problems. The local($1,$2,$3,$4) statement above should take
care of the Perl bug, so I don't expect further problems in that area.