Oliver,

> Recently I get the following error message in my mail logs stating that
> SA TIMED OUT.
> Googeling for it I found messages dating from late 2005 mentioning a
> performance issue with the default database and they recommend a switch to
> mysql. Is this still the case? What are other solutions/workarounds, if
> any?

Yes, this is still the case. The fastest and the most reliable solution
is to switch Bayes to MySQL. See sql/README* in SA distribution.

Make sure to use InnoDB database and a Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::MySQL
as bayes_store_module. Although MyISAM might be a trifle faster,
the InnoDB is much more resilient to aborts/restarts/crashes
due to transactional use by SA, providing a maintenance-free
database for Bayes.

With Bayes on SQL in most cases the auto-expiry works just fine
(much faster than with BDB) and there is seldom a need for
external expiry runs.