Pedro,

> i've an AMD64-Debian installation with postfix and amavis-milter.
> I often obtain random TEMPFAIL errors ... i've tried debuging and googling
> around but just get an headache.
> I suspect that amavis passes a wrong parameter to amavis-milter...
> but i don't why. I have similar installation but without this problem.
> the version is 2.4.4

A misconfiguration. I'm surprised that it works at all!

> Feb  2 10:28:37 mx1 amavis[3729]: (XXhoewCg) mail checking ended:
>   version_server=2\nsetreply=250 2.5.0 Ok,%20id=XXhoewCg,
>   %20continue%20delivery\ninsheader=0
>   X-Virus-Scannedamavisd-new%20at%20omissis\n
>   return_value=continue\nexit_code=0

amavisd is returning its response as an AM.PDP protocol response,
i.e. a set of name=value attribute pairs.

> Feb  2 10:28:37 mx1 amavis-milter[1238]: : (mlfi_eom) finished conversation
> Feb  2 10:28:37 mx1 amavis-milter[1238]: : (mlfi_eom) TEMPFAIL, retval is 2

Your milter is amavis-milter, i.e. the one that comes with the amavisd-new
package. It is quite old and does not speak the newer AM.PDP protocol,
it speaks an older and simpler AM.CL protocol (with limited functionality).
It tries to interpret the lengthy response string as a single integer,
quite inappropriately.

You either need to use Petr Rehor's amavisd-milter (note the 'd' in the name)
which speaks AM.PDP (see link in README.milter), or tell amavisd to use
an older protocol AM.CL instead of AM.PDP when talking to a milter
by setting in amavisd.conf:  $protocol = 'AM.CL';
(amavisd-new tries to guess this when undefined, based on sockets
in use in an upward compatible way; perhaps you have overridden it).