On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 01:50:43PM -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:

[Please post to one list only. Since I'm not subscribed to
spamasassin-users, I removed that list]

> Sometimes a large company will have a proxy server set up in the DMZ and
> then send it to their internal mail server.
> I understand that ideally, the proxy server would be replaces with a
> SpamAssassin/MTA setup.

What do you mean with "proxy"? A MTA running spamassassin, amavis,
whatever can be a proxy, of course.

> #1, SPF.  SPF helo, SENDERID
>   The proxy will be adding a received header, and announcing 'HELO/EHLO'
> using its own name, not the senders.

You can never rely on EHLO/HELO. Even if it is not faked or
misconfigured, it need not to be the original senders host.

> #2, many blacklists that depend on the last received header (the proxy
> will normally put on in)

If your DMZ MTA gots blacklisted, you have other problems.

> For Amavisd/others that use p0f, all we get is signature of the proxy.
> Smtp ratelimiting, greyisting, even recipient verification break.  You
> can't drop the SMTP session when the sender sends you an email with a
> bad address, the proxy has already accepted it.  You can't use 4xx
> errors in your policy server to do greylisting on policy blacklisting
> because you are sending the 4xx error to the proxy.

That is why you want to have filtering on your DMZ MTA, not on the
internal MTA.

> On amavis, if we use MY_NETS policy, and we put the proxy ip in the
> 'localnets', it will spam the spam and virus contact address on every
> email from the 'local network'.

See above.

> Any solutions other then take the proxy server out and replace it with
> the SpamAssassin/MTA combo?

I'm really unsure what a "proxy" is for you.

Rainer