Clifton Royston wrote:

>   My understanding is that a lot of spamware forges MUA signatures for
> The Bat!  (I don't know why that MUA in particular.)

I now remember that older versions (I think 2.something) of
SpamAssassin would give various negative points to some
seldom-abused mail clients.  Since The Bat! was the least
abused, it had the biggest negative score.

It didn't take long for spammers to figure this out and start
forging headers claiming to be from the various white-listed
MUAs, frequently The Bat!, but others also.  And not long
after that, the negative scores were removed from
SpamAssassin.  But some practices die hard.

--
Noel Jones