On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:00:00PM -0600, Gary V wrote:
> > smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       5      smtpd
> >

> > smtp-amavis unix -      -       n       -       5      smtp
>
> >     -o smtp_data_done_timeout=1200
> >     -o smtp_send_xforward_command=yes
> >     -o disable_dns_lookups=yes
> >     -o max_use=20
> >

> > 127.0.0.1:10025 inet n  -       n       -       5      smtpd
>
> Why did you limit smtp and 127.0.0.1:10025 to only 5 maxproc? I would
> leave these at the default - the way you had it initially.
>
> Your maxproc for smtp-amavis (5) is higher than your $max_servers = 2;

If at some point max_servers for amavis were set higher than the
maxproc for port 10025, I think this would actually explain the weird
tcpdump trace between Postfix and amavisd.

In the example, amavisd connects to Postfix, which is listening on the
socket, as shown by the TCP handshake, but then gets no response.  If
Postfix were limited to 5 processes on this port and amavisd had more
servers (hence more connections open) Postfix would not be allowed to
fork a new process to process the connection until another amavisd
process had closed its own Postfix reinjection connection.

> Set them to the same number, or if you use amavisd-release often, set
> $max_servers one higher that the maxproc for smtp-amavis.

And the maxproc for the listeners on 10025 *must* be set at least equal
to the number of amavisd $max_servers or you will have trouble.

If you set all 3 of those to the same value, that's the simplest thing
which will work.

BTW, your general smtp listeners should also be set much higher if you
process any volume of mail on this machine.  Right now one spam
delivery attempt from just a handful of bots could tie up your entire
inbound mail capacity.

Hope this helps,
  -- Clifton

--