On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, Nathan M wrote:

> I am curious what amavisd-new users out there have for DB setups for
> maintaining the storage component of amavis data (maddr, msgrcpt,
> msgs, quarantine tables).  I'll start.
>
> Incoming Email:  10,000,000 messages/day
>
> Current Hardware:
> Single Core 2000Mhz Athlon 64 CPU
> 4GB RAM
> 2 x Seagate ES 500GB 7200rpm in RAID1 setup
>
> This hardware is not cutting it any longer..
>
> Proposed new hardware hope to have online in < 2 weeks.
> Quad Core 2.3Ghz Opteron CPU
> 8GB RAM
> 4 x WD Velociraptor 10krpm 300GB in RAID10 setup

Add 2x 146GB disks in RAID1 for OS and swap.  In anything with intensive I/O
it really helps.  Go SAS for both OS disks and data if you can.  I've found
SAS seriously out performs SATAII for multiple mixed simultaneous read/write
operations.  SATAII, although MTBF is much better than it used to be still
has problems with multiple simultaneous I/O requests and will become a
serious bottleneck.

We use 3 routing nodes running amavisd-new writing to a single database on a
host which houses multiple databases.  We use mailzu to view the quarantine
and release messages plus an inhouse app to manage the sql tables for
policies.  The database host is a Dell PE1950, 4G RAM, with LSI MegaRAID
(which is our bottleneck on I/O, PERC controllers are slow) and 2 RAID1
giving seperate spindles for OS and data.

We don't have near the mail you handle (only around 20k/day) but the DB host
does around 30 queries/second average.

Regards
Jim

> - N

James Bourne                  | Email:            jbou...@hardrock.org
UNIX Systems Administration   | WWW:           http://www.hardrock.org
Custom UNIX Programming       | Linux:  The choice of a GNU generation
"All you need's  an occasional kick in  the philosophy." Frank Herbert
Need an inexpensive domain alternative?  http://fastforwarddomains.com