Hi all,
while the proposed translation is a good translation by default, when you can
have fallthroughs or guards, if you have none of them, it's not the best
translation.

[CC John Rose because i may say something stupid]

The problem is that the VM doesn't not prune never called cases in a switch
while it does that for the branch of a if, so an if ... else can be faster than
a switch in the case only some cases are exercise at runtime.
Also note that a lot of tableswitch end up to be generated by the VM as if ..
else if you take a look to the generated assembly code because jumping to a
computed address is not free.
So it seems a good idea in the case of an expression switch with no guard to
not generate an indy + a tableswitch but just an indy.

So instead of lowering:

switch (x) {
case T t: A
case U u: B
case V v: C
}

int y = indy[bootstrap=typeSwitch(T.class, U.class, V.class)](x)
switch (y) {
case 0: A
case 1: B
case 2: C
}

I propose to lowering it to something similar to the lambda translation:
var expr = indy[bootstrap=exprTypeSwich(1, T.class, U.class, V.class)(x);
and let the bootstrap to do all the lifting.
The first bootstrap argument is the number of the switch in the code, here 1.

With A, B and C being desugared as static methods respectively to
switch$1case$0, switch$1case$1 and switch$1case$2 (i.e. "switch$" +
switchNumber + "case$" + caseNumber.

The bootstrap method exprTypeSwich can work like an inlining cache if the
number of branches actually visited is small, this is interesting because the
performance of an expression switch will be in the same ball park as the
performance of the corresponding virtual call, and if there is too many
branches used, revert to use a new method handle combinator that does a
tableswitch*.

cheers,
Rémi

* the JSR 292 has talked several times to introduce such method handle
combinator.