> On Mar 14, 2018, at 12:45 PM, fo...@univ-mlv.fr wrote:
>
> De: "Guy Steele" <guy.ste...@oracle.com>

These are good answers to my question, thanks!

> I am sympathetic to your feeling about this, but have no idea how to
> encourage it or enforce it.  You really can’t prevent a programmer, or group
> of programmers, from sticking to a subset that makes them happy.
>
> on the Human aspect of programming, publish an official language guideline
> and provides tools that enforce it like Google does with Java or golang (with
> go-fmt).

I agree that common guidelines are a good thing.

But you still can’t prevent programmers from choosing their own “happy subsets”
of even the official guideline.

Simple example: suppose I choose, as my own special discipline (which I have
sometimes used) never to use `break` to break out of a `for` or `while` loop,
but instead insist on providing a label and using `break label;`.  The
rationale is that whenever I see a plain `break` in my code, I always know it’s
for a `switch` statement.

If you agree with this idea, then I win: I get to use my happy subset.

If you disagree, then I really win: it demonstrates that you and I would choose
different happy subsets!  :-)  :-)  :-)

(Don’t mind me; I’m feeling puckish today.)

—Guy