Hello!

Existing ?: behavior is certainly surprising and continuous source of
puzzlers. E.g. the following was used in our latest Java Puzzlers NG S03
talk:

boolean x = false;
System.out.println(x ? 42 : null); // prints null
System.out.println(x ? 42 : x ? 42 : null); // NPE

It's really hard to guess what will happen and even if you know, it's
usually hard to explain. Such problems actually cause bugs in real code, I
encountered some of them in my practice.

Nevertheless I'm for consistent behavior (A or C). This would simplify the
understanding of both constructs and also simplify the spec as ?: chapter
may just explain the operator as syntactic sugar over switch(condition) {
case true -> e1; case false -> e2; } referring to the switch expression
chapter for the complete semantics explanation.

With best regards,
Tagir Valeev.