Yes, this is surely an option.

But it doesn't answer the underlying question -- if the hierarchy changes in various ways between compile and runtime, what behavior can the user count on, and what changes yield "undefined" behavior?

While its easy to say "you should do what the code says", taking that too far ties tie our hands behind our back, and makes switches that should be O(1) into O(n).