This is just a quick initial response and that it will veer off-topic:

* Users of Guava's Preconditions love the support for "%s"-formatting.  But
on the other hand, in code where you *are definitely* about to throw
something, why wouldn't I just use string concatenation? That is generally
easier to read because you don't have to mentally correlate specifiers to
faraway arguments. (Okay: one reason might be if your message is long
enough that you'd like to use a multi-line raw string literal for it, where
concatenation is BadBadBad, but I can't say how common this is or isn't at
the moment.)

* If you do add those methods, though, you don't want to just call
String.format() inside -- or if you do, you at least want to catch
InvalidFormatException and produce a fallback message in that case; don't
let that except supplant the one the user is really trying to create
(especially if that is unchecked).

* I think that for most occurrences of `default: throw...`, by far, the
user really doesn't benefit from being able to choose the exception type or
the message at all. A standardized choice of exception, and an
autogenerated message (that automatically includes the switch target, which
users usually don't bother to do themselves!), may be strictly better. Can
we consider providing them a shortcut (strawman: just `default: throw;`!)?

* For exhaustive switches (so far: enums), the ideal we have been trying to
shoot for is that the user makes an informed, intelligent choice about
whether they want the compile error or the runtime error when a new one is
added. So far, with what we've implemented at Google, it seems that we're
falling fall short of that ideal. We have been strongly considering the
idea that you *shouldn't* be allowed to simply omit a default at all,
because what that *means* is far too opaque. It would be better if the user
had to do something explicit in either case. Could it be that the idea in
the previous bullet actually provides this? We would go back to always
requiring an explicit `default` for an e-switch, but you still get to make
an explicit choice which behavior you're asking for.

* It would feel strange to even bother applying this exhaustiveness goo to
*byte* switches. If we ever had ranges.... of course then, any type of
switch could join the party. (I don't know whether ranges are a thing we're
considering or not and I'm not pushing that we do.)

--
Kevin Bourrillion | Java Librarian | Google, Inc. | kev...@google.com