Hi Maurizio,
i think you have overlook the fact that raw types and inference also doesn't
play well together.

accessibility:
Widening the type is usually a big No because of the security implication. The
fact that the same code code has no security bug with version n but a security
hole with version n + 1 scares me.

source compatibility:
It's may not be a big issue because the JDK source doesn't use 'var'. If a code
uses 'var' the sharp type will propagate more, so the JDK is not perhaps the
best code to test.

friend or foe:
the rules for raw types are brutal as you said, but it's by design, it offers
maximum compatibility and doesn't allow to mix raw and generic type easily so
my students detect the missing angle brackets easily (IntelliJ still doesn't
warn about missing angle brackets by default :( )

Now about your example, instead of being functional and wanted each Option to
type their argument, you can use ugly side effects instead.
So the idea is to use a temporary class instead of a Map to store the data
associated with an option. So an Option is something that takes a chunk of the
command line arguments and do a side effect on the field of an instance of that
temporary class.

public class LineParsing {
  private final HashMap<String, Consumer<? super Iterator<String>>> actionMap =
new HashMap<>();

  public LineParsing with(String option, Consumer<? super Iterator<String>>
action) {
    actionMap.put(option, action);
    return this;
  }

  public void parse(List<String> args) {
    var it = args.iterator();
    while(it.hasNext()) {
      actionMap.get(it.next()).accept(it);
    }
  }

    var bean = new Object() {
      Path input = Path.of("input.txt");
      boolean all = false;
    };

    new LineParsing()
        .with("-input", it -> bean.input = Path.of(it.next()))
        .with("-all", it -> bean.all = true)
        .parse(List.of(args));
  }
}