On 11/25/2019 12:42 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
On Nov 6, 2019, at 11:21 AM, Alex Buckley <alex.buck...@oracle.com>
wrote:
For spec clarity, please rename `component_info` to
`record_component_info`.

I hadn't seen this comment, but I've now applied this change as
requested (will show up next time Gavin posts an update).

Thanks.

As an aside, please drop "We're being intentionally vague here
about just what it means for a class to have a "component"."

Yep, that was intended for earlier in the design, no longer relevant.
Done.

OK.

and strengthen the opener: "The Record attribute is a
variable-length attribute in the attributes table of a ClassFile
structure. ***A `Record` attribute indicates that this class is a
_record type_ (JLS §8.10), declared with a list of _record
components_.***"  [Almost certainly declared _in source code_, but
maybe this class file was auto-generated, so no need to say how the
record type was declared ... but it was, since here we are in its
class file.]

This came up in the CSR, and the conclusion was to *weaken* it—JVMS
doesn't care about record types and under what conditions a class is
or isn't considered a record. This sentence is purely meant to give
readers some idea about why this attribute exists. So I've revised it
to:

"The `Record` attribute records information about the components of a
record type (JLS 8.10)."

OK, though as an editorial matter, avoid a record recording something. Prefer "... of a ClassFile structure. ***A `Record` attribute denotes information about the components of a record type (JLS 8.10).***"

Alex