I've received a number of private mails, each trying to "rescue" the imperative approach somehow. First, an analogy to set the stage (at the risk of derailing the actual discussion.)

BEGIN ANALOGY

Elsewhere in Amber, we are working on reconstruction expressions for immutable objects:

    point with { x = 2*x; y = 2*y; }

A number of people have seized on this as the backdoor through which they'll get by-name constructor invocation, asking for some variant of

    Point with { x = 3; y = 4; }

as a constructor syntax.  While there's nothing *locally* wrong with this as a linguistic form, I think there's something very wrong with the motivation.

The motivation is that some people really, really want by-name invocation for everything: constructors, methods, patterns.  And I totally get that; they've seen it in other languages and like it, it makes code more readable and less error-prone, etc etc. Unfortunately, this feature is just much harder to add to Java than it seems to 99.999% of Java developers.  (If it were as easy and harmless as everyone thinks it is, we would have done it decades ago.  It's not impossible, but it is significant, and we'd rather invest that effort elsewhere.)

When confronted with the perceived hostility towards a feature they want, people start bargaining ("I realize I can't have it in general, but maybe I can have it for records?")  The above pseudo-constructor syntax for records is exactly this sort of bargaining -- but its a terrible bargain.

Its a terrible bargain because there's no chance of extending this to other contexts where people want it just as much (e.g., methods), and, to make it worse, if we ever did decide to do by-name invocation in general, the reconstructor-inspired syntax would be a white elephant next to

    new Point(x: 1, y: 2)

which is more direct and concise.  So its a hard no on the reconstructor-inspired constructor syntax, because of one or both of:

 - Having it for records only will quickly feel like "glass 90%" empty, and
 - If we eventually fill the glass, there'll be some sludgy residue in it.

But, the bargaining instinct is strong.  First, another digression.

BEGIN NESTED DIGRESSION

I was at an AMA (Ask Me Anything) at a conference about eight years ago.  The audience peppered me with the usual "Will Java ever..." questions.  We had a great time.  One of the questions was "what about making semicolons optional."  I went through some examples where removing a semicolon in existing code could change the meaning in surprising ways.  But, the questioner was not to be deterred; he shot back with "OK, since records are a new construct, how about you make semicolons optional inside record declarations?"

Serious props to this dude for dogged persistence towards his goals, but I almost fell off my chair laughing.  What a stupid language that would result in!  Asking developers to reason about "in which constructs are semicolons optional" would be worse than either extreme.

The moral of this story is that when we want something badly enough, we become blind to the obvious negative side-effects.  We convince ourselves that getting it in a limited context, in a stilted way, is better than nothing.  But it's usually worse than nothing, because it creates new edge cases, and new constraints for making things globally better.  When it comes to language design, "local optimizations" usually aren't.

END NESTED DIGRESSION

The point of the nested digression was to illustrate the danger of trying to locally re-invent a feature that is better handled globally.  The wither-inspired constructor syntax is clearly dominated by a more general by-name invocation mechanism, but in our depression that we might never get one, we embrace clearly suboptimal choices.

END ANALOGY

So what was the point of the analogy?  AFAICS, the "imperative" syntax has two motivations:

 - To look like the syntactic dual of a constructor, and
 - As a way of providing "by name" matcher completion, rather than only "positional" matcher completion.

To the first, I think the document does a good job at dismissing; this is a local maxima, but it falls apart in the bigger context of patterns in the object model.

The point of the analogy is to highlight that the second is a similar form of bargaining over the lack of positional invocation.  But if we were ever to have by-name invocation for methods, there's an obvious syntax that extends to binding production:

    matches Point(x: 1, y: 2)

as well as pattern use sites:

    case Point(x: var first, y: var second): ...

which suggests that we should avoid the temptation to use the imperative style as a "consolation prize" for the lack of general by-name invocation.