At the initiation of OFCOM last year - a conflation of various media related government agencies (Orwell smirking) - and after many years of lobbying by hundreds of dedicated volunteers throughout the UK and such as the Community Media Association, it seemed that Community Radio stations were actually, finally, to become a reality (as indicated in a public consultation document that fully recognised the potential importance of this sector:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/licensing_numbering/radio_sound_broadcasting/comm
unity_radio?a=87101)

However, the huge potential for this not-for-profit sector with regard to the education and empowerment of thousands of people throughout the country, the enhancement of democratic processes and huge proliferation of platforms for creative endeavours is now under serious threat as the commercial sector gathers it's forces to nip this opportunity in the bud and to kill the sector at birth.

I am writing to call for all interested parties - and I believe that that should include the majority of the creative community if through self-interest alone as this is potentially a space for the dispersal of creative works a la Resonance FM (www.resonancefm.com) - to write to their MP's in support of the initiation of Community Radio and in opposition to the greed driven restrictions that the commercial sector is trying to place upon Community Radio via their sharp-suited lobbyists in parliament.

In consultation, hundred's of MP's and Lords displayed a clear understanding of the benefits to be gained by the creation of a layer of media that is made by and for local communities. And yet, it only takes a few professional lobbyists to persuade a few MP's to dissent against the common thought for the whole endeavour to be undermined so I urge everyone to go and get the form letter from the CMA website
(www.commedia.org.uk/campaign/index.htm) and forward it as soon as possible to their own MP's

peace and noise

Mark Lawton

community media worker and sound artist

ps. by comparison, a piece I tagged onto my letter ...

In Montreal, on May 17th, the President of the World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters, AMARC, Steve Buckley, welcomed the Presidential Decree of the Government of Bolivia opening the way for Community Radio in that country as

"an important step forward in favour of the recognition of Community Radios in Latin America and the Caribbean and an example to be followed by governments in other regions of the World".

I hope you agree that it ill behoves the state of democracy in the UK if we are to be seen to be incapable of emulating such a historic democratic advance as is now made law even in Bolivia

------------------------------------------------- a m b i t : networking media arts in scotland post: [EMAIL PROTECTED] archive: http://www.mediascot.org/ambit info: send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and write "info ambit" in the message body -------------------------------------------------