On 2018-02-14 01:15 PM, Christian König wrote:
> Am 14.02.2018 um 17:35 schrieb Felix Kuehling:
>> [SNIP]
>>> That's incorrect as well. Normally multiple devices have multiple
>>> ttm_buffer_object, one for each device.
>>> Going a bit higher that actually makes sense because the status of
>>> each BO is deferent for each device. E.g. one device could have the BO
>>> in access while it could be idle on another device.
>> Can you point me where this is done? I'm looking at
>> amdgpu_gem_prime_foreign_bo. It is used if an AMDGPU BO is imported into
>> a different AMDGPU device. It creates a new GEM object, with a reference
>> to the same amdgpu BO (gobj->bo = amdgpu_bo_ref(bo)). To me this looks
>> very much like the same amdgpu_bo, and cosequently the same TTM BO being
>> shared by two GEM objects and two devices.
>
> As Michel pointed out as well that stuff isn't upstream and judging
> from the recent requirements it will never go upstream.
>
>>> If this is enabled by any changes that break existing buffer sharing
>>> for
>>> A+A or A+I systems, please point it out to me. I'm not aware that this
>>> patch series does anything to that effect.
>>> As I said it completely breaks scanout with A+I systems.
>> Please tell me what "it" is. What in the changes I have posted is
>> breaking A+I systems. I don't see it.
>
> Using the same amdgpu_bo structure with multiple devices is what "it"
> means here.

That statement seems to contradict this previous statement by you:
>>>   What we do is map the same
>>> BO in VMs on other devices. It has no effect on GART mappings.
>
> Correct VM mapping is unaffected here.
Can you clarify that contradiction? Is it OK for us to map the same BO
in multiple VMs or not?

> As I said that concept is incompatible with the requirements on A+A
> systems, so we need to find another solution to provide the
> functionality.

Do you mean you need to find another solution for A+A buffer sharing
specifically? Or is this a more general statement that includes the
mapping of BOs to multiple VMs on different devices?

> What's on my TODO list anyway is to extend DMA-buf to not require
> pinning and to be able to deal with P2P.

Sounds good. That said, KFD is not using DMABufs here.

> The former is actually rather easy and already mostly done by sharing
> the reservation object between exporter and importer.
>
> The later is a bit more tricky because I need to create the necessary
> P2P infrastructure, but even that is doable in the mid term.

The sooner you can share your plans, the better. Right now I'm in a bit
of limbo. I feel you're blocking KFD upstreaming based on AMDGPU plans
and changes that no one has seen yet.

Thanks,
  Felix