Am 02.03.2018 um 07:59 schrieb zhoucm1:

On 2018年03月02日 14:19, Kuehling, Felix wrote:
Hi David,

Compute contexts enable the compute power profile,
I heard from Rex, he said he prefer power profile depends on ring busy/idle, rather than always enable it.

and can use a different VM update mode from graphics contexts (SDMA vs. CPU).
If we can identify which is faster and efficient, then we can unify it I guess.

Well SDMA is a bit faster in some cases, can access all of VRAM and is pipelined.

CPU has lower latency, but it can't access all of VRAM and isn't pipelined.

Lower latency is important for KFD and that it is pipelined is very important for good GFX performance.

Regards,
Christian.

Anyway, thanks for explain.
David Zhou
These differences are not going away. Not yet, anyway. If we start sharing VM address space between graphics and compute in the future, this will have to change. That is, these features would have to be controlled by other means than by the vm context.

Regards,
   Felix