On 2018-10-31 2:38 p.m., Kazlauskas, Nicholas wrote:
> On 10/30/18 11:34 AM, Kazlauskas, Nicholas wrote:

>>> This would kind of defeat the point of VRR, wouldn't it? If a flip was
>>> scheduled after the start of vblank, the vblank would always time out,
>>> resulting in the minimum refresh rate.

>>> So this is what happens.
>>>
>>> Regardless, when the flip is latched, AMD hardware generates a "pflip"
>>> interrupt, and its handler calls drm_crtc_send_vblank_event (and in the
>>> case of DC drm_crtc_accurate_vblank_count before that). So the time when
>>> drm_crtc_send_vblank_event is called might be a good approximation of
>>> when scanout of the next frame starts.
>>>
>>> Another possibility might be to wait for the hardware vline counter to
>>> wrap around to 0 before calling drm_crtc_accurate_vblank_count, then the
>>> calculations should be based on 0 instead of crtc_vtotal.
>>

>> I understand the issue you're describing now. The timestamp is supposed
>> to signify the end of the current vblank. The call to get scanout
>> position is supposed to return the number of lines until scanout (a
>> negative value) or the number of lines since the next scanout began (a
>> positive value).
>>
>> The amdgpu driver calculates the number of lines based on a hardware
>> register status position which returns an increasing value from 0 that
>> indicates the current vpos/hpos for the display.
>>
>> For any vpos below vbl_start we know the value is correct since the next
>> vblank hasn't begun yet. But for anythign about vbl_start it's probably
>> wrong since it applies a corrective offset based on the fixed value of
>> crtc_vtotal. It's even worse when the value is above crtc_vtotal since
>> it'll be calculating the number of lines since the last scanout since
>> it'll be a positive value.
>>
>> So the issue becomes determining when the vfront porch will end.
>>
>> When the flip address gets written the vfront porch will end at the
>> start of the next line leaving only the back porch plus part of the
>> line. But we don't know when the flip will occur, if at all. It hasn't
>> occurred yet in this case.
>>
>> Waiting for the wrap around to 0 might be the best choice here since
>> there's no guarantee the flip will occur.
>
> I put some more thought into this and I don't think this is as bad as I
> had originally thought.
>
> I think the vblank timestamp is supposed to be for the first active
> pixel of the next scanout. The usage of which is for clients to time
> their content/animation/etc.
>
> The client likely doesn't care when they issue their flip, just that
> their content is matched for that vblank timestamp. The fixed refresh
> model works really well for that kind of application.
>
> Utilizing variable refresh rate would be a mistake in that case since
> the client would then have to time based on when they flip which is a
> lot harder to "predict" precisely.

It's only a "mistake" as long as the timestamps are misleading. :) As
discussed before, accurate presentation timestamps are one requirement
for achieving perfectly smooth animation.

> I did some more investigation into when amdgpu gets the scanout position
> and what values we get back out of it. The timestamp is updated shortly
> after the crtc irq vblank which is typically within a few lines of
> vbl_start. This makes sense, since we can provide the prediction
> timestamp early. Waiting for the vblank to wrap around to 0 doesn't
> really make sense here since that would mean we already hit timeout or
> the flip occurred

Sounds like you're mixing up the two cases of "actual" vblank events
(triggered by the "vblank" interrupt => drm_(crtc_)handle_vblank) and
flip completion events (triggered by the PFLIP interrupt with our
hardware => drm_crtc_send_vblank_event).

Actual vblank events need to be delivered to userspace at the start of
vblank, so we indeed can't wait until the timestamp is accurate for
them. We just need to document the exact semantics of their timestamp
with VRR.

For page flip completion events though, the timestamp needs to be
accurate and correspond to when the flipped frame starts being scanned
out, otherwise we'll surely break at least some userspace relying on
this information.