Alex,

Am 04.08.20 um 22:01 schrieb Alex Deucher:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:21 PM Harvey <h...@gmx.de> wrote:

Alex,

tnak you so much - you're my hero!

Am 21.07.20 um 18:17 schrieb Alex Deucher:
On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 4:22 AM Harvey <h...@gmx.de> wrote:

Hello,

this is my first post to this list so please be patient with me ;)

The facts:

it is now one week that I own a new laptop, a MSI Bravo 17 A4DDR/MS-17FK
with Ryzen 7 4800U and hybrid graphics on a Radeon RX 5500M. I installed
my beloved Archlinux but I can't start any graphics withpout kernel oops
on it beside the normal console, even calling 'lspci' on the console is
provoking errors.

I am using linux kernel 5.7.9 and linux-firmware 20200619.e96c121

(FWIW: I even tried with a self-cmpiled kernel 5.8-rc5 and
linux-firmware directly from the git repository - no changes)

The following is only part of the information I can provide but I didn't
want to make this mail bigger than it already is.

Does appending amdgpu.runpm=0 on the kernel command line in grub help?

Yes it does. Woohoo! The system is not freezing anymore! Can I provide
any further information to get this sorted?

I will be happy to help investigating and testing if needed.

Does appending pci=noats on the kernel command line in grub also fix the issue?

No, it does not. I tested with pci=noats on kernel 5.7.11 and 5.8 and on
both the kernel oopses and freezes again. Only amdgpu.runpm=0 does the
trick.

FWIW, booting kernel 5.8 without any parameters does not work either.

Greetings
Harvey

--
I am root. If you see me laughing, you'd better have a backup!