commit 859e4659273f1df3a23e3990826bcb41e85f68a5
Author: Evan Quan <evan.q...@amd.com>
Date:   Thu Aug 19 12:07:59 2021 +0800

     drm/amdgpu: add missing cleanups for more ASICs on UVD/VCE suspend

     This is a supplement for commit below:
     "drm/amdgpu: add missing cleanups for Polaris12 UVD/VCE on suspend".

     Signed-off-by: Evan Quan <evan.q...@amd.com>
     Reviewed-by: Guchun Chen <guchun.c...@amd.com>
     Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher <alexander.deuc...@amd.com>

Before that we where just not touching the UVD power state at all during suspend and so we won't had a problem in the first place.

So what we should do instead is to just revert commit 859e4659273f1df3a23e3990826bcb41e85f68a5 with a proper fixes Tag and explanation why that is a bad idea.

Yeah, right. If I remember correctly, this commit was originally added to fix hangs with S3 suspend/resume cycles triggered during video playback. Reverting could bring back that one. Evan will know more background details.

Exactly that's my memory as well. So what happens here is that we go in circles with one patch fixing a bug and the next patch effectively reverting it again to fix another bug.

What we need to do is stop this madness and take a look at the underlying problems instead of trying to work around them.

Thanks,
Christian.

Thanks,
Lijo

Regards,
Christian.

Thanks,
Lijo

See we usually assume that updating to the already set state is unproblematic and that here sounds like just trying to mitigated some issues instead of fixing the root cause.

Regards,
Christian.

Whoever commits this, pls add

Link: https://lore.kernel.org/r/yv81vidwqlwva...@zn.tnic

so that it is clear what the whole story way.

Thx.