On 1/16/2023 18:47, Guilherme G. Piccoli wrote:
On 16/01/2023 20:00, Alex Deucher wrote:
[...]

It's not clear to me when this would be used.  We only disable it
briefly during new asic bring up, after that we never touch it again.
No end user on production hardware should ever have to change it and
doing so would break VCN on their system.

Alex

[+ Pierre-Loup]

Steam Deck is facing a pretty weird scenario then heheh

Commit 82132ecc543 ("drm/amdgpu: enable Vangogh VCN indirect sram mode")
corrected a long-term issue in which the indirect SRAM mode wasn't
enabled for Vangogh - and Deck GPU architecture is Vangogh, so it was
working perfectly with that disabled.

Happens that a bad FW candidate seems to have broken something - it was
a bit convoluted to debug, but we proved that disabling indirect SRAM is
a good workaround so far, it "restored the behavior" pre-82132ecc543.

Hence my proposal - this parameter would've made life so much easier,
and we're start using it "downstream" now. While I understand that of
course the FW should be fixed, meanwhile this is a cheap solution to
allow further debug and real use of the system.

For debugging these type of problems, I think an effective debugging tactic would have been to mask the IP block (amdgpu.ip_block_mask).