On 31/01/2023 10:58, Chen, Guchun wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Do you think if it makes sense that we can set 'ring->sched.ready' to be true
> in each ring init, even if before executing/setting up drm_sched_init in
> amdgpu_device_init_schedulers? As 'ready' is a member of gpu scheduler
> structure.
>
> Regards,
> Guchun

Hi folks, thanks a lot for the feedback so far, much appreciated!

I'm feeling a bit confused specially since there seems to be 2
orthogonal (yet related) topics being discussed; let me try to summarize
my understanding and we can then further discuss better:

(a) The first problem is the one addressed in the patch - how to prevent
drm_sched_fini() to get called if drm_sched_init() wasn't called?

I've proposed sched.name, seems Christian prefers sched.ops, correct?

(b) We can't use sched.ready, which would make sense...but amdgpu
overrides its meaning, the driver manipulates this value for its own
purposes of tracking ring init, or something like that.

This is the tangential topic: what should we do here? My understanding
of Alex's message is that we could have a "ready" field in the ring
structure and stop messing with sched.ready - does it make sense Alex?

Guchun / Christian, does it also make sense for you?

Regarding (a), I could re-submit having s/sched.name/sched.ops, no
biggies, I tested both to be fair, before sending...I just chose name
but any field that is proper initialized on drm_sched_init() would work.

Thanks,

Guilherme