On 2/3/23 13:56, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2023 at 01:28:20PM -0500, Harry Wentland wrote:

>>> People want that control as well for whatever reason. We've
>>> been asked to allow YCbCr 4:4:4 output many times.
>>>
>>> The automagic 4:2:0 fallback I think is rather fundementally
>>> incompatible with fancy color management. How would we even
>>> know whether to use eg. BT.2020 vs. BT.709 matrix? In i915
>>> that stuff is just always BT.709 limited range, no questions
>>> asked.
>>>

>> We use what we're telling the display, i.e., the value in the
>> colorspace property. That way we know whether to use a BT.2020
>> or BT.709 matrix.
>
> And given how these things have gone in the past I think
> that is likey to bite someone at in the future. Also not
> what this property was meant to do nor does on any other
> driver AFAIK.

It has implementations in other drivers but I have yet to
see anyone using it. Without that it does nothing, unless
there are proprietary userspace pieces that make use of this.

>> I don't see how it's fundamentally incompatible with fancy
>> color management stuff.
>>
>> If we start forbidding drivers from falling back to YCbCr
>> (whether 4:4:4 or 4:2:0) we will break existing behavior on
>> amdgpu and will see bug reports.
>
> The compositors could deal with that if/when they start doing
> the full color management stuff. The current stuff only really
> works when the kernel is allowed to do whatever it wants.

The compositor could deal with it but this feels like the
compositor taking over things that should really be in the
hands of a display driver.

>>> So I think if userspace wants real color management it's
>>> going to have to set up the whole pipeline. And for that
>>> we need at least one new property to control the RGB->YCbCr
>>> conversion (or to explicitly avoid it).
>>>
>>> And given that the proposed patch just swept all the
>>> non-BT.2020 issues under the rug makes me think no
>>> one has actually come up with any kind of consistent
>>> plan for anything else really.
>>>

>> Does anyone actually use the non-BT.2020 colorspace stuff?
>
> No idea if anyone is using any of it. It's a bit hard to do
> right now outside the full passthrough case since we have no
> properties to control how the hardware will convert stuff.
>
> Anyways, sounds like what you're basically proposing is
> getting rid of this property and starting from scratch.

Maybe that's the right approach.

My initial idea was to tag along an existing property but
that turns out to be challenging when that existing property
doesn't even have a userspace implementation. IMO the existing
colorspace property shouldn't be a user-space controllable
property. I'll have to take a closer look at the
hdr_static_metadata to understand whether we might run into
similar issues with it.

The alternative is adding a new property to let userspace pick
the encoding and the min bpc value but that conflicts with the
expectation for a driver to always pick an encoding to satisfy
the bandwidth requirements for the mode on the wire [1].

In this scenario userspace would need to take full ownership of
the wire encoding and live with the consequences. If the bandwidth
is not sufficient a driver would then need to reject the commit
without having a mechanism to tell userspace the reason why.
The driver understands the bandwidth requirements but there is
currently no way for userspace to do so, in particular for
MST/USB-C/USB4/Thunderbold scenarios.

[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/amd-gfx/2022-December/087423.html

I don't think giving userspace full control of the encoding
buys us anything other than headaches.

Harry