Hi Bill,

> I was thinking that AmForth would be a good starting point for porting to
> other architectures, given that
> 1) It's nicely modularized.
> 2) Many of the words are written in forth, but expressed in assembler.
> 3) the assembler syntax is relatively generic, and probably easily ported.
> (so, something like core/bin.asm stays looking about like it does now, even
> if the CPU architecture changes drastically.)
>
> Am I out of my mind?

IMHO no

>   Is there a better starting point?

I've played with the naken_asm recently. It is not
(yet?) able to do the job for the atmega's but a
msp430 variant looks promising.

> The actual target is an STM32F103 ARM chip.  Don't suggest C
> implementations; that's not what I want to do.

Of course not ;)

If the msp430 port is successful it's probably easier to start
for another system. Currently, there are a lot of things that
work for the atmegas but not for others.

Matthias