Sven,

The Arduino Mega has an AVR-chip that has several (I think 3) UARTs built in.
So you could use one of those for reading your GPS module, while the original
one used for the terminal connection is still available.   Alternatively you
could emulate a UART on the simpler AVR as used on the Arduino Uno in software
(“bit-banging”).  This would be more effort software-wise.  The Arduino website
has some discussion of this (as it relates to the Arduino software).

Peter