Hi Jan,

I am not sure how far you got with amforth-shell.py so I have started
at the beginning and worked forward in steps.

Step 1

Open an OS X terminal, change to your-amforth-dir/tools directory(folder)
and type

./amforth-shell.py --help

If this executes you should get a screen full of options with their
descriptions.

Step 2

Find your uno (or other board's) serial port name. Type

ls -lt /dev/*usb*

Here is my listing (I have two usb-serial devices plugged in so four
entries)

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   17,  24 25 Oct 07:39 /dev/tty.usbmodem1411
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   17,  25 25 Oct 07:37 /dev/cu.usbmodem1411
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   17,  23 25 Oct 07:33 /dev/cu.usbserial-A906R1JQ
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   17,  22 25 Oct 07:33 /dev/tty.usbserial-A906R1JQ

I will use /dev/tty.usbmodem1411 which is from my uno[1]

Step 3

In the OS X terminal type (replacing /dev/tty.usbmodem1411 with your
serial device name)

./amforth-shell.py -p /dev/tty.usbmodem1411 -s 38400 -i

This should leave you in the interactive mode of the amforth-shell.py
allowing you interact with AmForth[2] e.g. typing

2 3 + .

Should result in 5

To exit type (on my mac # is alt 3)

#exit

If you get to here, then you have a working amforth-shell.py that can
communicate with the uno. Let me know if that is the case.

What remains is to get amforth-shell.py to search for and include
files. That is Step 4 (which is to follow, if step 3 completed
successfully).

Regards,
Tristan

[1] For my uno, if I plug it into a different USB port I will get a
different device name - though the port to name mapping is the same.

[2] Assuming you have AmForth on the uno.