Thanks for the info. I am on a windows machine, using avrdude. I am trying
to use the following command , taken from the link provided by Peter C.
(i replaced the com port with my com port, com8)

*avrdude -p m328p -c avrispmkII -P com8 -U efuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m
-U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U flash:w:uno.hex:i -U eeprom:w:uno.eep.hex:i*

It does not appear to be working properly, i just get a timeout message
repeating indefinitely. I can get the command to work and flash the hex
file if i leave out the fuse settings, but im unable to connect via serial
terminal.
Any further help is much appreciated.